Monday, June 27, 2011

Summer Gardening

My purple nicotiana is very fragrant, but for now you have to smell them up close.  I'm hoping that later on this summer the fragrance will really scent up the whole garden.


The antique lime nicotiana is very fragrant also.  This is what I like about ordering my seeds---I can get what I want to grow, and in the color I want.  It's very satisfying to me and well worth the effort of starting my own flowers from seed.  Rarely do I find what I want at a nursery.


The whisper mix nicotiana is very tall and a beautiful mix of soft colors, although it isn't fragrant.  My hollyhocks in this bed are going to bloom this year---they are getting very tall, and the Japanese beetles didn't do much damage to them, yet anyway.



My dahlias are starting to bloom--I started this one from seed in March.  I love this color.  I have a couple of yellow ones that are starting to bloom also.  I have some others that are blooming that I don't care for the colors of them at all.


This dahlia I planted many years ago and it is a tall variety, but it blooms all summer with tons of flowers later on.  I planted some more tall ones in purples and deep reds also, but they aren't blooming yet.  I planted tubers of those, but they are coming along somewhat.


The last part of last week I managed to get most of the back bed finished, but also manage to over do it.  I decided to take a few days off. 


Here are some of the roots I dug out of the bed. 


Mixing the compost in was fun for me but that's where I over did it.  I'm just not as young as I used to be, but occasionally I forget that.
 I'm in no hurry to get this one planted--It's a summer project just to get it cleared.  I do have some more work on the other side of the peony (at the top of the picture) to do.  I pulled weeds this morning in the front yard, but it started sprinkling  so I stopped.  I do hope we get some good rain soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment