Monday, January 17, 2011

Challenge Progress For January

I've been working on my borders.  So much applique here.
It's moving along rather slowly, but the technique I've chosen is very time consuming.  It's accurate though, and that's why I've chosen it: 

Freezer paper cutouts ironed to the back side of the fabric cutouts which have a quarter inch seam allowance added.

The edges are then folded over to the back side and glued with fabric stick glue to the paper side of the freezer paper. 

Next, the flowers leaves and berries are applique stitched in place.

Lastly, the backing is cut out with a quarter inch seam allowance and the paper is removed after prying loose the seam allowance from the paper.

I'm very excited to get to the piecing of the inner quilt, although I do enjoy the applique part. I hope to be to that part next week--Yea!

9 comments:

  1. That shows great self restraint to make the borders first and wait to sew the pieced insides!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are so beautiful and time consuming that this quilt had better be for someone very special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever looked at the way Erin Rusak, at One Piece At A Time does her applique. It is just as accurate as the way you are doing, but much faster.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these colors on a black background. It's going to be a stunning quilt. Are you hand appliquing these?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cathy, Yes, I have done them that way before, but the book recomemded this method, so I wanted to try it. I like the iron and starch method better, but they both take time to do, and this way has less ironing time. The curves are better with the ironing method though. It's a trade off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty, however any type of applique is not a technique I enjoy. Your results are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! That's going to be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete