Saturday, October 20, 2012

Dehydrating Produce

 
 
I'm dehydrating things now.  This is kale that has been washed, trimmed of the big stems and cut into  good sized pieces. 
 
I blanched them, then spread it out on two trays. 
 
I had three small zucchini that I washed, cut up, and blanched as well.
 
They took up two trays.  It only came with 4 trays, but I have two more coming soon. 
 
 
 
 Below are the results:  Left is the kale that I have crumbled, then the zucchini.  Next in line are the dried apples, or what's left of them.  I dried three apples, and we have about 1 and 1/2 apples worth left.  Lastly, I have strawberries, or what's left of them.  That small jar was 1/2 filled with a large store container of dried sliced strawberries, then it had dried pineapple to fill it to the top, but we munched on those as well.
 I will make a soup with the zucchini and the kale in it and see what I think of them.  I just have to try everything out before I go hog wild, as my dad would say.  I love having the fruit to munch on.  Many times I just want to eat a small snack, and drying the fruit makes it easy to do so.
 


1 comment: