Friday, October 12, 2012

Beans, Beans, Beans

 
Well it was a success; no jars broke--yea! 
 
As you can see 1/2 cup of dry navy beans was not enough. 
 
 
For the second batch I upped it a little.  I used 3/4 cup per pint for the navy beans,  a little less than that for the pintos, and same for the great northern beans.  I canned 15 pints altogether.  I ate one the the jars that have less beans in them for lunch, and it was very good.
 
I'm thinking of canning some pintos in quarts, and pints of chickpeas and blackeyed peas--Yum!
 In (one a few) memories I have of my paternal grandmother, she tried to get me to eat some blackeyed peas, which I hated, when I was small.  I love them now.  I can eat a whole can of them by myself, but they are hard to find now days.
 


1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I've been wanting to can some beans too. I canned them dry last week along with some brown rice which was fun because it was so easy.

    I'm the same way on the blackeyed peas. I hated them when I was little then when Madison was a tot, she and I would eat a can together for lunch all the time. ☺

    ReplyDelete