Thursday, September 20, 2012
Well.........I made some strawberry jam today, or...... I tried to make some. These labels should say Strawberry Candy!
Here's what happened.....The recipe from the Ball Blue Book called for two quarts of strawberries, mashed up, then add 6 cups of sugar. Boil that till it gels. That isn't something I understand---maybe if I had been canning for a long time I would understand it. Sooooooo, I boiled it till it lightly coated a spoon. Well, I don't think that's what it meant, because it was suppose to make 2 quarts, and it only made a little more than half of that. I did the boiling water bath on four of them, and put the fifth one in the fridge.
When hubs came home I asked him if he wanted to taste it. I could barely get a spoonful out of the jar---it was like candy--it stretched a long way when I finally did get some out. Here are the pictures of the process. (I need a medium sized pot, but I didn't want it to boil over.)
I was ready to fill 8 jelly jars, but only used 5.
Here's the water bath part.
And the finished product.
I used to make grape jam all the time, but it called for pectin and you had to add water if too much of it boiled away-----it always made the right amount, with the right consistency----Oh well.
I'm planning on making some salsa, and some apple butter. I think I'll do a little research on the web first. That Blue Book is not for amatures.
I took the rest of the jam in that jar, and added a little water and boiled it, then poured it back into the jar. I suppose I'll have to do that each time I open a jar.