Wednesday, May 21, 2014
I got some of the doll clothes made. I think she looks like a cow girl kind of. Front view......
She still needs some bloomers, and shoes, but I need to make another pattern for a dress for my grand daughter's doll first.
Tuesday, May 13, 2014
Last week we made a trip to Iowa.
Our daughter Erin went with us and her dog, Mac the co-pilot.
Cyle graduated from homeschool with 40 other homeschoolers--it was pretty neat--very personal. We weren't allowed to take pictures during the ceremony, but it was way cool. Here he is with brother, Cole, and Sister, Brittany.
That afternoon there was a party for him--this pic was taken after the party died down somewhat, but quite a few came.
Our daughter Jen and her hubs have two graduates now.
Cole will graduate in a couple of years--here he is in blue playing b-ball with his friends.
Fun trip. It's always good to see hard work pay off.
Monday, May 12, 2014
I'm going to try to do a tutorial of sorts on this doll.
Here is the pattern.
I cut the pieces out and traced around them on the doll fabric. That will be the sewing line, be sure to leave 1/2" between pieces. (You will need to trace one body, two of each leg part and two of each arm part, two feet and two hands, and finally one head back---these will be pinned to another piece of fabric on the back before sewing; after sewing on the line, leaving an opening for turning, cut them out with 1/4" seam allowance.) You will need only one face, but cut it out with at least 1/4" of seam allowance.
On the legs and arms sew from dot to dot following the arrows, and leaving the area for the gussets to be attached unsewn. Cut them out with 1/4" seam allowance. This pic below shows how the gussets are attached. Be sure to leave an opening to turn the pieces right side out after sewing, I left a 3/4" opening when attaching the gusset. Stuff them very well, but only stuff the gusset area lightly. I used hemostats to stuff them. Sew the opening closed. The picture below also shows how to attach the body parts together with buttons and very strong thread. I used carpet thread, and a doll needle. Squeeze the buttons together when tying the end of the threads together, you may need help with this. I tied the square knot between the button and the outer area of the gusset.
The back of the head pieces are sewn together down the center back, with an opening, then sewn to the face. Stuff it firmly after turning, then close the opening. The caved in area on the back of the head is where the head attaches to the neck by stitching them together.
After the body parts were all attached I added the doll hair that I bought at the hobby store. Next the face--I just used a macron pen to make the eyes and a little blush for the cheeks. My grand daughter had her sister add the face by painting it on. I'm anxious to see it.
Wednesday, May 7, 2014
I've been making a fully jointed doll. Our grand daughter wanted to make one, so I made up a pattern from a pattern of a doll I had that only had joints at the hips and shoulders.
I couldn't give her the pattern if I didn't know if it would work, so I made one.
This dolly needs some clothes now. I guess I'll be designing some doll clothes next. I'm thinking a raglan sleeve blouse, full skirt, slip, vest, cumberbun that laces up the front, and a scarf.
Maybe decorating them with a few seed beads also. We'll see.
I added a tutorial here.